Classmate Comments

In the previous class, My teacher gave all the students the opportunity to look at each other's blogs. From this exercise, I was able to obtain a lot of insight and grow as a filmmaker. First and far most I was amazed by the talent of my fellow peers! They were not only creative with their short clips but also blew me away with the aesthetics and appearances of their blogs! Each one I looked at was creative and unique to them! My classmates are really going to keep me on my toes! 

Although I looked at quite a few different blogs, I commented on the blogs of Desiree Haghgoo and Jacob Pina which both did a wonderful job on their first attempts to use camera shots!

Desiree Haghgoo used a variety of shots but, her use of the POV shot really stood out to me. The Point of View shot (POV) allowed me to be able to understand the scene from the perspective of the subject, being a small gross creature (which is quite creative, I might add). The Point of view shot allows the audience to understand that the subject was feeling vulnerable and sad as he is looking up at the two girls that are looking at him in disgust. This allows the two girls to take a more superior role while the small creature is conveyed as inferior and is likely feeling embarrassed and filled with self-disgust. The use of the angle allows the viewer to be placed in the shoes of the subject and feel what they do. I loved what Desiree did with her use of the POV shot. She not only used the shot correctly but creatively as well. Considering she and I are both amateurs I'd say that the quality of my videos in comparison to her is relatively on the same level, but I will say her ideas blew mine out of the water! Next time I film I will definitely try and pick my brain for more exciting and fun ideas in order to up the level of creativity associated with my films.

Jacob Pina also took advantage of the POV shot, but his use of the wide shot really is what caught my interest. The wide shots allowed for him to capture the whole scene which includes the subject on a high ledge. The wide shot allows the audience to grow uneasy and for tension to be built since the viewer is able to see that he is potentially in danger if he were to fall or jump off the ledge. The wide shot also allows the audience to be able to see his body language in which they would be able to note that the subject is swinging their legs back and forth which suggests contemplation and that the subject is likely deep in thought. This shows that the subject may be having an internal conflict and this idea is emphasized since the subject is in an isolated and silent area, swinging his legs, and is on a high ledge, all components able to be captured through the use of a single wide shot. I was thoroughly impressed by Jacob's well-thought-out film. I never thought a simple wide shot could convey such complex and intricate emotions, as wells as ideas. I'd consider my films more simple in which some conveyed ideas of feeling powerless and inferior while others conveyed unease and disorientation. Although both of our films allow the reader to feel an intended way, I'd say that Jacob was better able to create a complex story and idea. His work has inspired to me better think through what feelings and emotions I want to create through angles. 

In comparison to my peers, it is clear that we all had different goals and ideas for what we wanted to convey through our videos using the various camera angles. I believe that my videos are quite similar to my peers in terms of the level of quality and proper use of the camera angles. After looking at my peer's videos, I'd say I was also successfully able to use camera angles appropriately to convey certain ideas and emotions, so no one outdid the other in terms of appropriate use.  Since we are all beginners I wouldn't say one is more professional looking than the other, but I feel that Desiree and Jacob both had more creativity in regards to their films. I can't wait until the next project so that I can see what new and creative ideas I can come up with.

Comments

Popular Posts