Lights, Camera, Action, SHOOT!



Welcome to my first attempt at filming! Today, using the knowledge from my media studies class, I recorded five different scenes using different camera angles! 

1. Canted/ Dutch angle

The first shot I decided to utilize is the Canted angle shot or in other words the tilted angle. I decided to use this particular shot in order to convey to the viewers a sense of unease and disorientation. This purposefully crooked shot places emphasis on the concept that the character in the shot is struggling with their balance or so overwhelmed that they are failing to hold their composure. Within the video, it is clear that the character is unable to stand up straight, and slanting the shot exaggerates the idea of disorientation coming from the character so that it is abundantly clear. Getting this idea across in a matter of a few seconds was difficult, but it was quite amusing to watch my peer portray a disoriented character and act as if she couldn't walk. From choosing this angle I was trying to establish a sense of unease and to get the viewer to be able to understand that something wrong with the subject in the video.


2. High angle

The high angle in this particular video is being used to portray a sense of powerlessness. This is relevant to the subject being filmed since they are meant to be feeling down and defeated. Considering this angle is being filmed from a high advantage point the camera is pointed down on the character making them look small. Being small is often associated with feeling inferior and vulnerable which corresponds with the idea trying to be conveyed in the video. While filming this shot I struggled to figure out how to set up the scene in a way that would be of best use to the high angle. Eventually, I decided that having the subject sitting down on the floor and looking sad would be best to make use of the high angle since the angle would be able to emphasize the subject's solemn appearance and feeling of powerlessness.


3. Low Angle 

Being the opposite of a high angle, the low angle is filmed from down low and looks up at the subject. This has the effect of making the subject look strong, powerful, and heroic. These effects are exactly why I chose this angle for this shot because I wanted the subject to look victorious and empowered. From this shot, the audience can understand that the subject is feeling confident, powerful, and strong which is exactly what I intended to be conveyed. In the video, the character is standing in a strikingly powerful pose which corresponds with the effect of the angle. All together the viewer is able to feel the mighty, powerful, and fearless mood created. This shot was my favorite to film since I was amazed to see how the simple change in angles could create such a distinctively strong, impactful, and powerful shot. 



4. Close up
The close-up is able to capture the intimate moment between the subject and plant.  At such a close range the video is able to show a great deal of detail from the subject's expressions to the detail in the flowers. The close-up allows the viewers to grasps the concept, being that the flowers are of importance to the subject at that moment. I chose this angle so that the viewer is able to understand the subject's state of mind which in this case is a sense of peace and calm from simply smelling the flower and being in touch with nature. The close range allows the viewer to be able to see and take in what the subject is feeling.  Filming this was an amazing experience since the moment filmed was rather pleasant and tranquil and this feeling was able to translate into the video to showcase the beauty of the moment. 



5. Over the shoulder shot
 
Typically used for videos involving dialogue, I chose this angle to shoot the conversation between two subjects. This angle allows the viewer to focus on one character instead of struggling to focus on two at the same time. This is important since the subject being focused on in this scene is the main character so the viewer knows to pay attention to the character seen while the other character is of little significance. Since the angle only focuses on one character the viewer is able to follow along with the conversation with ease, overall making this shot perfect for this scene and showing why I chose it. The over the shoulder shot was fun to film and even filming from this angle allowed me to feel as if I was in the conversation as well. Furthermore, it was funny to hear see my friends act as if they were having a genuine conversation. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts