Lighting
Lighting
"Where there is darkness, let there be light"- Francis Assisi
Playing with the lighting in regards to making or film opening was definitely interesting and fun, to say the least! We were a bit limited and restricted as we didn't have the proper equipment to try and utilize three-point lighting methods or extreme high key lighting. Nevertheless, the lighting turned out relatively great and I'm proud of the work my group and I did!
On the first day of filming, we worked inside Alexa's bathroom and were given a wider range of lighting options than I had imagined. Alexa's bathroom offered different lighting options such as 1. all lights on, 2. the light in the shower area on, and 3. dim lighting. Initially, I was excited to see the dim lighting feature in her bathroom as I thought it would be fitting for the dark and sad nature of the scene we were filming but turns out the camera didn't agree with me. When looking through the camera the dim lighting offered a low and pixilated quality that we were not a fan of. Option 2, was simply using the light above the shower to still incorporate that dark and somber mood but still offer a light source, but still, the camera was screaming no. Through the camera lens, the setting just looked poorly lit and imbalanced in regards to the proportions of light and shadows. Eventually, we went with the completely lit/ all lights on option as it added the most quality to the opening of our film. We solved the problem of the lighting creating too happy or bright of a mood, but adding high levels of saturation to other scenes to make the bathroom scene seem the dullest and the most dreary.
On the second day of filming, we filmed outside so the sun was our light! This provided some issues in that we were really on the clock. We realized our film would look odd if some scenes had the perfect sunset lighting and then later scenes were dark or if we decided to film out of order then the scenes would be dark and then all of the sudden lit. We wanted to avoid such an issue so we filmed in the order that the opening would be watched and then worked efficiently, quickly and productivly. Notably, so, I love the lighting turn out of our opening as we filmed at the perfect time, around sunset, and this was a perfect call as it gave the film the best and most visually appealing look!
I think that there could have definitely been some improvements or more creative uses of lighting but as we were limited by equipment inaccessibility I am more than satisfied with the turnout! Overall I loved the way the film looked in terms of lighting and I hope you will too!



Comments
Post a Comment